Fundamentals of Engineering
Mechanics is designed as an essential textbook for all engineering
students. Adequately equipped with numerous solved problems and exercises,
this book provides sufficient material for the one year course for first year
students or one semester course for second year students in Engineering
Mechanics The book is comprehensive enough to serve as a reference for
practising engineers and for those preparing for competitive examinations.
This book has been specifically written with the following points in mind.
- To explain clearly the fundamental concepts and
principles underlying Engineering Mechanics.
- To provide fresh undergraduate engineering students
with adequate information for reasonable understanding.
- To illustrate the application of numerical methods
to solve engineering problems with mathematical models.
- To introduce students to the use of computer
applications to solve Engineering Mechanics problems.
Some of the student-friendly features
of this book that make it both special and useful are the following:
- This book is organised to achieve a continuous
step-by-step build of the subject.
- Within each chapter, topics and sequentially
coherent subtopics are carefully organised and explained distinctly.
- An abundance of solved example problems have been
provided to illustrate all phases of the topic under consideration. In
this manner, the text facilitates a clear grasp of many difficult
concepts such as Space forces. Moment of Inertia, Virtual Work,
Curvilinear Motion and Kinetics, besides providing systematic approach
to problem solving.
- The extensive applicability of the basic principles
of this subject is emphasised so that the student can use these
principles and concepts to solve a variety of problems.
- Graded unsolved problems with answer are included at
the end of each chapter to give the students opportunities to check
- All chapters include several spreadsheet problems
for the modelling of physical phenomena, which enable the student to
obtain graphical representations of physical quantities and perform
numerical analysis of problems without recourse to a high-level computer
language. MS-Office 97-Excel spreadsheets are particularly valuable in
explanatory investigations, since "What if" questions can be
addressed easily and depicted graphically. Problem solving using EXCEL
spreadsheets will motivate the students to test their ability as they
progress through the text.
- The international system of units is used throughout
- Each chapter contains a summary which reviews the
important concepts and equations discussed in that chapter and serves as
a handy reference for pre examination review.
- Free body diagrams are discussed in great detail,
since they constitute the foundation of engineering mechanics.
- Appendices, which include vector and matrix algebra,
solution of nonlinear equations, mathematical formulae and numerical
integration are provided
* This sentence
and words are fed by manual, if any mistakes found in grammar, spelling, or
sentence please apologies us.